Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Haahopu Bay

We left Daniel's Bay to head to Haahopu Bay where our friends on Shindig were waiting for us.

We left the protection of the Bay without really knowing what was ahead of us. As soon as we reached the opening of the bay we encountered high, choppy seas and stormy conditions. We put on our harnesses and tethered ourselves to the cockpit padeye. All organization of stowage down below was now in disarray from the force of the boat slapping back and forth in the waves.

We had 20 knots from behind us, so we put out a partially reefed headsail and made our way to Haahopu Bay. It was definitely our most sporty sail since we left Mexico! Two large rain clouds moved over us and soaked us to the bones. It was the first time either one of us has been cold for months!

Just as the last storm was clearing and I had just discovered a hatch was left open down below, Mike called down to me that there we dolphins!! 

It's amazing how quickly my spirits can lift by a pod of dolphins! They looked like the same kind that swam with us on Al's birthday. Stenella longirostris (from my Tahitian guide book).

We walked up to the bow and sat and watched them for 40 minutes! (Without cameras, of course). It was awesome. I think they were enjoying entertaining us, as a couple jumped really high and sideways as I cheered them on! 

Before we knew it it was time to approach the Bay. We found our anchor spot suggested by Rob and went to drop the anchor.

The windlass was jammed and Mike couldn't get any chain out. He went down below to rearrange the chain in the chain locker and told me to keep us safe at the helm. I explained to Rob and JD what was happening and did about 7 circles in the bay before Mike came back up. I had heard some exasperated grunts/yells from him so I was happy he was ok.

Rob came over and helped Mike get enough chain out to anchor safely. We went over to Shindig for dinner and to send JD off safely back to California

The next morning, we said our farewells to JD and goodbye for now to Rob and Mike and I went down to fix the chain mare.

We took a hike up a dirt road for a little exercise and then back to the boat for projects.  I practiced rowing the dinghy to and from shore!

That evening we were treated with a gorgeous sunset!

The next morning we prepared to leave for the north side of the island, but first we had to bring up our stern anchor.  That was no easy task!

We tried pulling it up with the dinghy, rowing the dinghy, and finally pulling it up with the boat.  We thought it had released but as I was pulling in the rode it felt awfully light.  Indeed.  The rode had separated from the chain and anchor.  Again! We tried diving for it but didn't find it.

Meanwhile, back on Pangaea, a swarm of 100 wasps or so had gathered and started making a home for themselves in our sailpack and mast! We were afraid to go back to the boat!

We strategized and thought if we could get on the boat without being stung we could go down below and put on protective clothing and try to spray them with soapy salt water.

We put on our foulies, water shoes, gloves and scuba masks for optimum protection against stings. Mike used a garden sprayer full of soapy salt water and sprayed them all until they succumbed or flew away!

We saw that the seas were pretty lumpy but we had no choice but to leave.

We made our way to Hakaehu Bay. As we were leaving we saw another boat heading into the Bay.  I called them on the radio to warn them of potentially angry wasps.  They decided to follow us to Hakaehu.

We both arrived safely and anchored just as the dark clouds rolled in and it began to pour.

Time for a margarita!

First Mate Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment